Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Homemade

I spent last Saturday learning the secret Kosmachuk family varenyky recipe. Us lesser humans have always referred to them as peirogies. My lovely mother-in-law is pure Ukrainian and her mother was a pro in the kitchen and taught her all she knows. I love hearing Vera speak Ukrainian, even Nate knows a thing or two and I'm starting to pick up on a few phrases. I might not be able to speak the language, but I can make a mean varenyky! 

This weekend we will celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. I am always the designated pie maker. I love to bake and I would say pies have become my specialty. I usually take a family vote to determine which pies will make it to the dinner table. This year it will be pumpkin and pecan. Two of my absolute favorites and I believe staples around Thanksgiving.

But I am especially thankful they let me in on the secret varenyky recipe. And that I could help make the few hundred we assembled for the celebration. I can't share with you the recipe, but I can show you the finished product!




2 comments: