Sunday, May 26, 2013

Fluffy Homemade Marshmallows

This post is long overdue.  I am obsessed with marshmallows and I just can't believe it's taken me this long to make my own.  I dabbled with a few different recipes and found one that will be passed on to the grand kids...several decades from now.  It's versatile, which I love.  Sometimes a plain vanilla marshmallow is just what you're craving, but other times perhaps coconut, or lemon creme, oooh.  

As proud as I am of my success in the kitchen making marshmallows, I am ashamed to admit it is one of the messiest things I've ever done.  But hey, as long as my OCD-neat-freak can stay calm for an hour or so, I reward her greatly with the most divine, springy, fluffy marshmallows.  So roll up your sleeves, mentally prepare yourself for the mess that awaits and just have fun.  After all, you're making marshmallows - quite possibly the happiest food on the planet.

Vanilla Marshmallows

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup water (divided)
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Lightly oil a 9-inch square baking pan ( I used coconut oil).

In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water.  Let soften while you prepare syrup.

In a 2 quart heavy sauce pan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/4 cup water and salt.  Heat over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Insert thermometer and boil without stirring until temperature reaches 240* F.  Remove from heat and let sit until bubbles are gone.

With mixer (can be hand-held or stand mixer) on low speed, pour hot sugar mixture into gelatin in a thin stream down the side of the bowl.  Increase speed to high and continue beating until very thick, about 15 minutes.  Add vanilla and beat until just incorporated.

Spoon marshmallow mixture into the oiled baking pan (this will be very messy and sticky, but have fun licking the spoon when you're done!).  Lightly oil your fingertips and smooth marshmallow into pan.  Dust the top with powdered sugar, or toasted coconut, yum.  Let sit, uncovered at room temperature for at least 2 hours or until firm.  I let mine sit overnight uncovered and it was completely wonderful.

Use a knife to loosen the marshmallow from the edge of the pan and lift up a corner of the marshmallow.  Peel from the pan and place on a cutting board dusted with powdered sugar.  Use a lightly oiled pizza cutter to cut the marshmallows into one inch squares.  Roll the squares into more powdered sugar to coat all remaining sides.  Store in an air-tight container or zip lock bag.  Enjoy!






These photos are from my first batch of marshmallows.  I used coconut extract instead of vanilla and coconut sugar instead of white sugar.  Coconut sugar is naturally dark brown so this batch was not the traditional white marshmallow.  Also, I toasted coconut and added it right to the mashmallow mix. They tasted amazing! So you can see just how versatile this recipe is.  The most recent batch I made was the above recipe and they were much lighter and springy-um-er than the coconut batch.  Both marshmallows were bonfire tested and expert approved...myself being the expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment