Monday, April 15, 2013

Homemade Almond Milk

I've never been much of a milk drinker.  In fact, when I really think about it, the only thing I do drink is water and wine...and beer...or gin.  Don't judge.  Cereal is the only reason for milk in my life, I get my calcium elsewhere.  But recently, I came across this recipe for homemade almond milk and just had to try it out.  It has become my new favorite beverage...apart from the alcohol listed above.  I'm a "milk" drinker!

Homemade Almond Milk

  • 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water overnight
  • 4 cups filtered water
  • 2-4 pitted Medjool dates, to taste
  • 1 whole vanilla bean, chopped (or 1/2-1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • small pinch of fine grain sea salt, to enhance the flavour

1. Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water, soak overnight.
2. Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with filtered water, pitted dates, and chopped vanilla bean.
3. Blend on highest speed for 1 minute or so.
4. Place a nut milk bag over a large bowl and slowly pour the almond milk mixture into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk.
5. Rinse out blender and pour the milk back in. Add the cinnamon and pinch of sea salt and blend on low to combine.
6. Pour into a glass jar to store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Shake jar very well before using as the mixture separates when sitting.

Oh and all that leftover almond-y, date-y, vanilla-y pulp serves many purposes.  I have used it in these brownies, and my homemade granola which I do not yet have a post for, I also stored some pulp in the freezer for a future almond meal pie crust.  The possibilities are endless!










4 comments:

  1. sister, you spelled flavor with an 'ou' at the end. you are officially a canadian. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I've always wanted to try this. As much for that sweet leftover meal as for the milk...

      Delete
  2. Very funny sis, but I blame my spell check! It always "corrects" it to the Canadian spelling. I try to catch them but this one slipped out of my sight. So there!

    ReplyDelete